Any who, along with Housemate, I am acquainted with a fair number of people who have joined the ranks of Dr Who fans. Some are more manic than others, but all of them are rather more bonkers than your average person. These acquaintances of mine have, for the last few years, been trying to get me to watch the shows and join with them in manic fandom. I have been resisting, and continue to resist due to the reasons which I am about to list:-
1. I am already strange enough as it is. I am constantly being called ‘quirky’, ‘weird’, ‘odd’, ‘eccentric’ and ‘flipping crazy’ by co-workers, family and strangers on the bus. Dr Who is another of those twist-your-perception type shows and I fear that if I start watching it I will become too weird even for my own company… and I like my own company.
2. Now that Housemate and I are Housemates, I fear that the close quarters that we are sharing may cause us to spontaneously combust. We already share a large fistful of similar interests and hobbies and this would be yet another mutual interest/craze/obsession… I want to be special and unique in my psychotic behaviours.
3. I like my Facebook… and Dr Who has convinced Housemate that Facebook will one day take over the world and so she is boycotting it. I.WILL.NOT.RISK. FACEBOOK.
4. I am a big chicken… and I don’t want to live in fear of small children wearing gas masks, knocking on my door during a air-raid asking me through the mail slot if I am their Mummy. Call me crazy but that is not my idea of a good time.
5. Because I will not conform
Now, Housemate has an annoying gift that can only be described as an uncanny ability to get people to do what she wants them to do. She can Cunning Plan the heck out of just about anything, and as she wants me to watch Dr Who and love it, I suspect that I will cave very shortly… So this may be the last time you hear sense come out of my finger tips… and for that I am very sorry.
It was nice pretending to be normal with you all, save yourselves, stick to The Code.